Popular Posts

Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Having the same symptoms as my Dad

Question: My dad has PTSD and I feel like I'm contracting his symptoms. I've gone to the doc with my mom and he was going to put me on something buy my mom said no she would take me to talk to someone but never did! I'm still having the same issues now about a year later!(these started prob when I was about 5 or 6 but got worse since my dad came back into my life in 2006). I don't know what I can do, because of my anxiety and depression that the doctor diagnosed me with is really bad!

Click on comments to see Laura's advice.
Laura NP


Eleventh Hour LLC said...

Dear Danielle,
Sometimes anxiety disorders and depression disorders are hereditary. It may not be that you are "catching" PTSD from your Dad, it may be that you inherited his genes. I'm not sure how old you are, but if you are still in school or college, you can go to your school counselors for help. The schools and colleges have trained professionals who can provide some therapy for you. Your Mom is right to be cautious about medications. Only after a thorough evaluation and some therapy, should medication be considered. I think you should approach your Mom again, and let her know how badly you are feeling and that you really need help. Remind her that she did say she would bring you for therapy. Another advantage to seeing a school counselor is that they can help communicate with your Mom and Dad about the type of treatment you may need. If these options don't work for you, you should go to an emergency room and request a psychiatric evaluation and a referral. Don't wait for things to get worse. Good luck and let us know how things go for you.

Anonymous said...

Depending on the original posters age, finding quality, affordable, mental health for children/teens is difficult (I am a mother of four and have found this myself when seeking counseling for my children as they experienced "growing pains") and may be the reason why the mother has not followed through. Perhaps you can direct her to some resources, such as 211? Most of the qualified psychiatrists in the region where I live wanted $400 to $1100 up front which I could THEN try to bill my insurance for. (this does not have to be posted, but might be of help to the blogger)