Popular Posts

Search This Blog

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Caring for a Mentally Ill Parent

Question: my mom is mentally ill at the time and my grandmother is her caretaker but she's not looking out for my moms best interests. And her doctor that prescribes her medication went back and put her on an old medication that she took her off of because it didn't work. I'm just really concerned about my mom and who should I talk to about getting a new case worker/doctor and caretaker for her?

Click on comments to read Laura's advice.
Laura NP


Eleventh Hour LLC said...

Dear Joey,
It sounds like you are very worried about your mom. There are a few things you can do to ensure she gets quality care. First, ask your mom for permission to speak with her doctors or go with her to her next appointment. You can then express your concerns to the doctor directly, especially about her medications. Then, if your mom has the capacity, she can sign over power of attorney to you or to someone other than her mother. Power of attorney gives you the authority to make decisions for your mom. If your mom does not have capacity to make these kinds of decisions, you can get a lawyer to assist with reassigning her caretaker and power of attorney. Sometimes the best thing to do is to have an outside lawyer be her conservator. The term conservator might be familiar to you if you know about Britney Spears and all her mental health issues. Her father got a lawyer and went to court to be Britney's conservator. A conservator is authorized to make all decisions for the mentally ill person. It's a bit more control than just power of attorney. All this may sound overwhelming when you are already worried and stressed about how things are going for your mom. Bottom line, if you are really worried, bring your mom to the Emergency room and ask for a psychiatric evaluation and make sure you tell the psychiatrist that you are concerned that your mom is not receiving adequate care and that you are concerned about how your grandmother is caring for your mom. It is the psychiatrist's duty to further check out how things are with your grandmother and to determine if your mom is safe at home. Definitely consult with a lawyer as well. You may have to go through the court system to get your mom what she needs. Good luck and let us know how things go.